Healthy Homes Standards – What do the New Standards Mean for Landlords?
The Healthy Homes Standards became law on 1st July 2019.
The Healthy Homes Standards introduced by the government will ensure landlords have healthy and safe properties. All landlords have a responsibility for the maintenance of their rental properties.
The Healthy Homes Standards incorporate five aspects which contribute to a warm dry home:
- Heating – All rental properties must have one or more fixed heaters, which can effectively heat the main living area to at least 18°. The heating must be able to maintain the heat all year round. There are heating devices which are not suitable and do not meet the requirements. For further details visit or to get information on what type of heating would best suit your property, visit:
- Ceiling and underfloor insulation became compulsory in all rental properties since 1 July 2019. Some existing insulation in rental homes may need replaced or topped up. The requirements vary from region to region. More details can be found here: insulation regulations
- Ventilation – Rental Properties must have at least one door or window that opens to the outside in every bedroom, dining rooms, living room, lounge and kitchen. All kitchens and bathrooms must have an extractor fan that ventilates externally.
- Moisture and drainage. All rental properties must have effective drainage for storm water, surface water and ground water. If the property has an enclosed subfloor, a ground moisture barrier must be installed, where it is reasonably practicable to do so.
- Draught Stopping – all draughts must be blocked. This includes all fireplaces – unless the tenant and landlord agree otherwise. All gaps and holes in walls, ceiling, windows, floors and doors that cause draughts must also be blocked.
The Healthy Homes Standards are just one piece of the puzzle. As a business, landlords are obliged to comply to any enactments of the law. This includes:
- Health and Safety Act 2015,
- Residential Tenancies Act 2016,
- Residential Tenancies (Healthy Homes Standards) Regulations 2019,
- Residential Tenancies Amendment Act 2019
iCompli have developed the iCompli App. The iCompli App is designed to assist landlords. Is managing you property overwhelming you? Are you getting the best Return on Investment possible? Check out the iCompli App at the link below. iCompli also has an effective Health and Safety System built specifically with landlords in mind.